Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I am a salt WHORE.

There's a reason I have high blood pressure. It's because I crave salt. CRAVE it. So when I decided to make some tofu jerky for my school travels last year, I figured it would be a big, fat bonus. So I tried this recipe, though I followed the instructions to lower the pzow since--as I mentioned--I have blood pressure issues to keep in mind.

Oh. My. Gawds. I couldn't finish a single piece on the flight. It was just too salty. Even cutting the marinade with water, it was still too much. Oi! I definitely want to try this again, maybe with some barbecue, teriyaki, curry, or other saucy sauce. Just...with less. I don't see the point of not pressing the tofu to make sure it can absorb lots of marinade. The key will definitely be to cut the sauce. A LOT.

The good news is that it did keep for several days in a plastic zip baggy, and the (OMG SALT) flavor didn't diminish. Once at the hotel, I was able to rinse the pieces a bit to get some of the (OMG SALT!) flavor off.

I didn't get photos because I never expected to start yet another blog (and a vegan one, at that? pshaw! I am but a grasshoppah). When I redo, I'll post again and include photos. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment