Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pumpkin Soup (Yeah, yeah, basic blah blah)

I love this pumpkin soup. A friend made some once, and I'd never had it. She served it with pepitas on top, which I found obnoxious (pumpkin seeds are for roasting, 'zatch), but it was super tasty. I decided to make my own.

I failed to replicate hers, but I found something I liked even better and stopped trying to copy hers. Behold! Pumpkin soup, just in time for the pumpkin spice overload season. It contains nuts and coconut.

omnomnom


Not Your BFF's Pumpkin Soup
Serves 1 unless you're willing to share, in which case more like 6-8

1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp oil
3/4 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp rubbed sage
6 cups water
2 cubes Not Chicken bouillon
1 big-ass can of pumpkin (not the little one-the big one)
1/2 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, whatever floats your boat; I prefer peanut)1 can coconut milk (the standard size)
salt & pepper to taste

In a big-ass pot, saute the onion in the oil for about a minute, until they get all OMG I'M MELTING looking, and then throw in the garlic. Give it a stir. Dump in the spices, stir again to warm and coat the onion and then add the water and bouillon. Let the water heat up real nice-like, and then add the can of pumpkin and the nut butter. Let that simmer for about 20-30 minutes so all the flavors come together. Add the coconut milk and salt and pepper. Let the soup come back to a simmer, and then serve that shit. Don't let the coconut milk heat up for too long.

You can serve it with pepitas on top, if that's your jam, or be cool like me and snack on that shit instead. The soup doesn't need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment